News: Behavior Policy
The staff will create a warm and caring atmosphere with established rules to ensure emotional and physical safety for all. There will be consistent consequences to children who have difficulty following the rules that may include a verbal warning, time out, exclusion from activity, parental consultation, early pick-up from program, suspension, and or removal from the program.
Behavior Guidelines and Rules:
Discipline Procedures: When a participant does not follow the behavior guidelines, we will take the following action steps as the behavior problems progress.
- Treat each other with care and respect
- Support a positive and safe environment for all program participants
- Listen to staff
- Respect other participants, staff, equipment, supplies, facilities, and yourself
Behaviors that will not be accepted include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Staff will provide a verbal warning and redirect the participant to more appropriate behavior
- If inappropriate behavior continues, the participant will be placed in a time-out. They will be reminded of the behavior guidelines and rules, and the participant will be asked to decide on action steps to correct his/her behavior.
- If a child’s behavior still does not meet expectations and is affecting the experience of other participants, he/she will be referred to a recreation supervisor. The participant will be removed from the program and be given a time-out away from the activity. Parents will be contacted and notified of the inappropriate behavior. Staff will document the behavior and their discussion with the parent.
- If inappropriate behavior continues, as final action steps, the participant may be picked-up early, suspended, or removed from the program.
- The recreation director reserves the right to combine or skip any of the discipline procedures, in order to insure a safe and friendly environment.
- Refusing to follow behavior guidelines
- Endangering the health and safety of other participants or staff
- Use of verbal harassment, profanity, obscenity, or racial slurs
- Damage, vandalism, or theft of town facilities, equipment, or supplies
- Disruptive, disobedient, or rude behavior
- Leaving a program without permission
- Bullying as defined by M.G.L. C71S370